October 11, 2009

The Process of "The Tag Project"

As daunting as this seems, I am heartened by the support I have received from so many people already.

I have created a rubber stamp that replicates the text on the original tags - each of these tags are stamped, then names are written on each tag - I have seen two different examples of tags from archival materials - some were typewritten and others were handwritten. I feel that the handwritten tags gave the sense of the human connection, and the process of writing the names brings a sense of connection to the person whose name you are writing.

I have ordered a big box of red ink pads and numbering stamps and am ready to have volunteers help stamp each individual number on these tags.

Poston is almost completely done!! Minidoka, Amache, Tule Lake names have been completed and are ready for numbers. Currently we are working on Heart Mountain, Jerome, and Manzanar.

If you are interested in helping me with this project, all you need to do is email me, and send me your name, address, and email. My email address is tagproject@me.com.

Finally the tags go through an aging process that requires them to be dunked in coffee or tea and then strung together with red thread.

I am sending everyone the tags along with a self addressed label for their return. If you are also willing to donate the return postage of the tags, that would be awesome - just let me know. It would really help. It costs between $8-$12 to send these by USPS one way.

I hope to exhibit this piece, along with the works that I am working on now in a couple of years. There are several museum options that I have, as well as gallery opportunities. "The Tag Project" will likely be donated to a museum or to the Interpretive Learning Centers at one of the internment camps.

No comments:

Post a Comment